Who We Are

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

What's Cookin'?

Ha roo, pups and cool cats! It's me - Zim. What's cookin'? Me? I'm just chillin' out here on the biped bed.

DSCN3801 Zim

Oh, wait. Speaking of cookin'... did anySibe give you guys my mom's secret family recipe for
Moussaka yet?

DSCN3803 Zim
No? Not yet?

Guess I'd better hop on it, then, since I'm on KP Duty today. Remember, as Dave ... er ... I mean Damianos told you, this is our mom's version of her mom's version which is a very Americanized version of the Greek version of Moussaka. Sheesh. I think Ammy should have written this one up for you! Anyroo, I've shared other family recipes with you like my mom's Cabbage Salad complete with her Secret Salad Dressing, and her Baked Empanadas, and other members of the pack have given out a few (I think we need to link to all her recipes in the sidebar somewhere, don't you?) SO... what's one more, right? Let's get cooking!

Our Mom's Version of Her Mom's Version of a Very Americanized Version of the Greek Version of Moussaka
by Zim of the Army of Four

Here are the main ingredients:
1 bag of Boca Crumbles (or a pound of ground beef)
an onion
Goya Adobo seasoning (or salt & pepper)
cinnamon
raisins
zucchini
butter
flour
milk
Parmesan cheese
rice

Cook some zucchini and set it aside. I think my mom used two zukes. She peeled them & cut them into about quarter- to half-inch slices that looked like little Frisbees or something. She nuked 'em. Don't make 'em mushy, just cook "al dente".
Cook some rice and set it aside. Mom used long grain instead of a shorter "sticky rice" like she uses for other stuff; she used maybe a little more than a cup.
You can do those steps even a day ahead, if you want.
If you're using beef, start browning it in a big skillet. Chop the onion (mom used a pretty big one) - add that to the beef. If you're using Boca, put some olive oil in the skillet, start browning your onions, then throw in the frozen Boca. I swear I saw my mom throw some minced garlic in there. A couple cloves. While it's all browning/thawing, shake in the Goya Adobo (or salt & pepper), and the cinnamon. I'll bet you'd like to know how much cinnamon, wouldn't you? It doesn't give an amount on the Secret Family Recipe card I stole out of the box borrowed for today's post. Mom used a generous teaspoon full.
Speaking of generous, at this point, you might want to let your special canine or feline friends sample the rice or zuke. Since there's onion in with the meat, that's a no-go, but rice or zucchini sounds good.
Add the raisins to the meat mixture. Again, I think someone left all the amounts off the recipe card on purpose. Hmmm... Mom used a good, hearty handful. Then she tasted one and said, "Ooh, these are so fresh!" and threw some more in. Let me remind all of you that raisins are on that Forbidden Foods List for pups and kit-cats, so if your biped drops some on the floor, don't eat them!
Meanwhile... in another pot on the stove... make a white sauce. Melt some butter (a couple tablespoons), stir in some flour (again, a couple tablespoons) and get it all smooth. Take it off the heat and pour in about a cup and a half of milk. (Mom used skim. Go with whatever's in your magic cold box.) Whisk it around a bunch. Splash it on the stove top and wish you had used a bigger saucepan; that's what our mom did! Put it back on the heat and keep whisking until it thickens. I'd say medium to medium-high heat. Apparently the old family recipe doesn't contain amounts or temperatures. Add in some grated Parmesan cheese - about a third of a cup.
Spray a large, shallow casserole dish with non-stick spray. Add rice, zucchini, and meat mixture. Pour cheese/white sauce over the top. Bake at 350 degrees F until bubbly, about 30 minutes. When done, it should look like this:

DSCN3990 Moussaka

You can sprinkle a little more Parmesan on top when you serve it. As Damianos said, "
OPA!" It's great! Well, Mom and Dad liked it. Me and Dave liked the rice!

So there you have it. Pretty straightforward. As my mom said, the key "ingredient" to make things simpler that our grandma had that our mom doesn't is to have our mom and Aunt Janet do the dishes. Ha roo roo roo! Yeah, well, she has us, though! Right, Dave? We're all too happy to help police up all those dirty dishes!

DSCN3807 Dave and Zim
I wish you'd remember to call me 'Damianos'!
Ha roo roo roo - OPA!

I hope you'll give it a try! Let us know how it comes out!

Play bows,
Zim

31 comments:

  1. We are suddenly starving. That was not very nice to tease us with that good looking thing! Mom better give it a try
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tasty looking dish. I think I better send momma to the grocery store!


    Wags and Licks,
    Mollie Jo & Bobo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, what a yummy recipe Damianos. ;) I will have to try it out sometime.

    kisses,
    Nals

    ReplyDelete
  4. OPA Zim and Davy! Mum says she might give this a go - it reminds her of all the Polish recipes her grandmother gave her - add a pinch of this and a splash of that. Very non-specific :)

    Huffs

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.s. I mean Damianos. Not Davy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks yummy! You sure cook good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm everything looks so good. Mom makes that salad too but she doesn't have the super secret dressing recipe..
    She is going to make us those buns next time we have burgers and hot dogs or even brats..
    Hmmm maybe we all need a DWB's cookbook?


    Big Sloppy Kisses
    Gus, Louie and Callie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zim and Damianos, I am unable to get to the store. Wow...that really looks so good!!! And you were saying you were going to invite everyone to your house..did I hear that? I'm sure of it!! Just tell us what time to be there!
    Really...if I fixed that, it would be a disaster. I cannot cook no matter how hard I try!! Just ask Hollydog..she'll tell you that my cooking is bad! I will pass that recipe on to a friend I know that because she can really cook!!! (She doesn't live far either!) Thanks!!! Lots of love, Debbie and Hollydog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much guys!!! Mama just printed out the recipe and promises to let you know how it turns out!!!

    Smileys!
    Dory

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zim, you sure are cute!

    That sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:34 PM

    poor dave err damianos. no respect from his brofur! Opa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are always up for helping clean the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds so yummy Zim and Damianos! We're going to make sure our mommy sees it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your human left out the most important ingredient: Mouses

    Meeshka

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd like to help "police" those dishes too!

    Sonic

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing all those recipes!
    I remember the buns!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nommy! Too bad momma is a total mess in the kitchen. Sigh. I will just tell her to look at the nice photo.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoo - OPA!!!! Steen y-yassas!!! That looks so fine! Momma visited Greece for a summer again, about a century ago in 1966 and just loved everywhere she went! She doesn't have many authentic Greek recipes (or any for that matter), so really appreciates this yumzers sounding version! Thanks soooo much for sharing!
    Big Hugs xo
    Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  19. We'll have to try this. After all, our mom loves your mom's baked empanadas!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  20. My tummy's growling..Uh, mommy, you reading this?

    Cheers,
    Maxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am drooling !!! Looks yummy ! Thanks fur sharing the recipe with us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woooohooo! That looks totally pawsome! Had my mouth watering!

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  23. My Mom eats Boca Burgers but she says she has never tried the crumbles. She thinks she might pick up a package tomorrow when she goes shopping and do her take on your Moussaka. OPA!

    So Zim and Damianos, thanks for the receipes.

    Kisses,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooh -this looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. BAAAAHHH!!!! our fat mom is trying to diet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a great pic of woo, Damianos & Zimorba the Greek. The recipe sounds furry yummy & looks even yummier (is that a word?) We're going to make sure our mom gives it a try soon!

    a-roooos to yous,
    jack-a-lopolus & moo-saka

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marvin's Ode to Succhini

    "My Jeannie,
    Adores Zucchini."

    I hope you are liking my new brief poetry.

    lotsalicks, Marvin xxxxx

    pee ess will come back later to note down the recipe. ThanKs for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ooops, should have pawed in Z, not S!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello there Zimmie,

    Thank you so much for sharing that yummy recipe. Mommy is going to try to make it a successful cooking project. Please note the word TRY...

    Have a great week, friends!

    -Fudgie, Princess & the Piappies

    ReplyDelete
  30. YUM! Mom will share that with dad since he does most of the cooking! :) Great job Zim and Damianos!

    Mochi

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous4:44 PM

    Mmmmmmmmmmm we seriously want some now!!!
    Hugs,
    Sitka

    ReplyDelete