Who We Are

Monday, October 06, 2008

Wanna See My Mom's Buns?!?

Ha roo, it's me - Zim! Seriously, want to see my mom's buns? Check 'em out:

Ha roo roo roo! Ammy came up with that one for me! Pretty good, huh? Anyroo, Mom made some burger buns and hot dog buns yesterday and I helped. As many of you know, I was named after a Drill Sergeant - and part of my duties include making sure KP duty is done correctly.

More on KP duty in a minute, but here's a side-note to our friends Sunny and Scooter: Yes, I have my own vacuum, but I'm a guy. If you could do sniffies with me, there would be no doubt! It's all part of policing up around here - KP, running the vac, making beds... a drill sergeant's work is never done!

Seriously, I'm a manly pup.

Back to KP duty - I read on Maggie and Mitch's blog about this wonderful cabbage salad they helped their mom make. Our mom makes a similar salad, so I proposed we each post the recipes! Maggie and Mitch put theirs up yesterday; it sounds delicious! Without further ado, here's our mom's:

Cabbage Salad

Two bags of the pre-shredded "deli mix" cabbage, with the added red cabbage and carrots (I don't want to say Mom is lazy for not chopping or shredding her own cabbage...)
Two packages of chicken-flavored ramen
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
Mom's secret salad dressing

Break up the ramen into small pieces, making sure some lands on the floor for your helper. Line a small baking sheet with foil (it makes clean-up a lot easier!) and toss the ramen pieces on. Stick that in the toaster oven until lightly browned. You might have to take it out and shake it around, then stick it back in. Set aside to cool. Throw the almonds on the foil-lined sheet and toast those babies up. Set aside to cool. Now take the sesame seeds, throw those on the baking sheet, and hit toast. Watch those - they burn easily.

Get a HUGE bowl and put the bags of cabbage in, along with the ramen, almonds, and 2 tablespoons worth of the sesame seeds. (Retain that other tablespoon!) Pick out a piece of carrot and give it to your helper. Sprinkle ONE packet of the chicken flavoring (the bouillon mix from the ramen package) over the mix. Make Mom's secret salad dressing, pour it over the top, and toss well. Keep in the magic cold box, covered well.

What? You don't know my mom's secret salad dressing recipe? Really? Hmm... what to do, what to do. If I told you... you wouldn't tell anybody what it is, would you? Do you promise not to tell my mom I revealed it to you? Hmmm... OK! Here it is!

Mom's Secret Salad Dressing

1/2 cup canola oil
6 Tablespoons rice vinegar
4 teaspoons sugar (or two packets of Splenda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Several dashes of Tobasco sauce
That retained Tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds (you did save it, didn't you?)

Put everything in a tall, thin cup and blend REALLY well with one of those stick blender things. If you don't have one of those, use a regular blender. Mom said it's important for the toasted sesame seeds to be all busted up for a burst of flavor. Sometimes Mom adds a smidge of sesame oil. I don't know how much a smidge is. I'd ask, but then she might wonder why I want to know. Remember - mum's the word on this!

I hope you'll give it a try. I can't wait to help Mom make Maggie and Mitch's mom's recipe! For now, I'd best go see if the bed was made correctly!

Play bows,
Drill SGT Zim

18 comments:

  1. Before I even read your khredit line, I knew WHERE woo had gotten such a witty title!

    Woo two are such a grrrrrreat team!!

    Thanks fur sharing your kitchen sekhrets!!!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  2. You suwe do a tewwific job of all those dooties Zim..
    Thank you fow that delicious wecipe..we will twy it out, and you even gave us youw Mom's secwet dwessing wecipe..THANK YOU!
    smoochie kisses
    ASTA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'all have a yummi house! I hope you got a bun after all that vacuuming. Mom needed your help yesterday with the carpet. She said we were not help at all and we should pay attention to how you help. Hmmmmmm.
    Husky Hugs, MayaMarie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your mom has some good looking buns! I'd love a snooter-full of those buns!

    :-)
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harrrrrrr Matey Zim
    ye made the Cap'n hungry
    Cap'n Maverick the Pirate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, mom needs YOU here Zim!! (Did we refer to you as a girl? gasp-we are sorry!! you are obviously a MANLY man!!) Mom says Scooter is too small to be of much help, but then he decided he could dust things low to the ground or maybe help with the kitchen floor. We'll see how THAT works out. Mom says you have opened her eyes and I can do stuff too *sigh* Thought I did enough already!!! Oh well, maybe I can learn to vaccuum and check beds like you.
    Mom says your mom, Maggie&Mitch's mom, Asta's mom and Joe Stains mom need to visit and give her cooking lessons!! Y'all always have such good food!!!(Uh-she opens cans of spaghettios and stuff......)
    So I have decided I need to save some money to fly all of you here to teach Mom!!! Now, if I can just get Mom to give me an allowance....
    Hugs!!! (and a special Howdy to Dave. Thanks for the compliment about my longer hair.*blush*)
    Sunny
    Hi 5s
    Scooter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I LOVE your Moms buns!!! hehehe

    I saw that recipe on M&M's blog and it looked yummy and yours does too but we have no idea what ramen is!! or even if we have an equivalent? here *sob*.. we can however make that secret sauce.. but your secret is safe with us!

    What secret sauce? I don't know anything about secret sauce!

    love and tailwags,

    Ben xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummmmmmm - your version sounds very delicious, Zim! You toast lots of stuff which we think would make it even yummier and more tasty! We promise to keep quiet about your mom's secret salad dressing! shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Thanks for posting your mom's recipe! We've got to try that one too!

    Love ya lots,
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh we saw that on Mitch and Maggie's blog it looks so yummy. Can you post your bun recipe? Those look awesome too..


    Big Sloppy Kisses
    Gus, Louie and Callie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:35 PM

    YUMMMM! Those buns look good. Did you get a sample of them?
    Hugs,
    Sitka

    ReplyDelete
  11. w00f's A04, heehee me iz still droolin at the buns...me will c iffin mama can make the salad...when me grows up, me wants to b just like u..

    b safe,
    ~rocky~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Zim!
    You are always working!
    Thanks for sharing those recipes!
    I will tell my grandma about them!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Mom's buns all over the internets!!! LOL.

    Thanks for sharing the recipes, the dressing looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does your mom know you posted her buns on the internet??? Ha-roo roo roo!

    That salad sounds scrumptious - I think our mom will try it out. She made a new recipe tonight for Salmon Florentine....it musta been REAL good, cause we didn't even get a bite - there was NONE left over!

    wooos & a-roos,
    Star & Jack a-roo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought you meant sweet buns. (like cakes)

    Apparently master and mistress call those bread rolls.

    Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow it sounds like your place is the place to be! Lots of yummy food being made and tried by the pups too! I think dad might like that salad as he loves ramen. We call him The Ramen King! Your mum's buns and rolls look mighty tasty.
    Lix
    J&D

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOO WOO Zim

    You certainly are a very very busy Drill Sargeant! You must never have time for those all important naps we must take?

    Hugs
    Thor and Marco Polo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure glad you clarified the bun thing - I was worried! Thanks fur sharing your Mom's recipe.
    ECHO

    ReplyDelete