Who We Are

Friday, December 26, 2008

Kolache

Woo, everypuppy and everycat.  It's me - Dave.  Before I get started with my post, let me wish a happy Boxing Day to those of you who celebrate it.  I will NOT make the same mistake I made last year.  Zimmie.  Woo.

I'm not usually one to sign up for KP Duty - unless it involves beef brisket or chicken cooked with jalapeño peppers.  It's part of being from Texas.  Anywoo, Mom decided to make some kolache this year and I was really interested.  Really, REALLY interested.  She couldn't figure out why - until she was doing a little exploring on the internet.  It would appear they're very popular in parts of Texas.  She could have just asked.  

Mom already shared her version of how to make them with some of our fellow Sibe and Mal friends, so I thought I'd paste it in here so you all can give them a try!  Here's how my mom (and I) make them.  

Kolache
by the Ao4's Mom and Dave

Mom cheats and does the dough in the bread machine.  Why not?!?  Throw everything in, in this order: 
 

1 1/4 cups warm water 

1/2 cup butter, softened and chunked up 

1 egg 

1 egg yolk 

1/3 cup milk powder (the dry stuff in a box)

1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes 

1/4 cup white sugar 

1 teaspoon salt 

3 7/8 cups bread flour 

2 teaspoons active dry yeast 


Hit the dough cycle.  Go on a nice, long walk with the entire family; it's going to take a while.


Once thatʼs done, grab little bits of dough off - really whatever size youʼd like.  Probably about a tablespoon or so.  Itʼs a messy, sticky dough.  Donʼt say you havenʼt been warned.  You can try “flouring” your hands and that helps.  


Stormy was watching this part from the doorway between the living room and kitchen, by the way, while Zim, Ammy and I were on sentry duty in the bedroom.  Apparently when Mom wrote out the recipe she didn't mention the step Storm saw her do at this point - knock the newly purchased bag of bread flour over and have it land open-side down.  Ha woooo.  Stormy said it was a highly amusing step and doesn't know why Mom left it out of her write-up. Even the Dyson got to help with these!


Roll the dough around, forming nice balls and put on cookie sheets you sprayed with non-stick spray.  Space them an inch or more apart. 


Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about an hour, or until doubled.  (Mom sprays her plastic wrap with non-stick spray, too - it helps.) 


Guard the rising kolache carefully.


Me, guarding the kolache as they rise


I was very good at that part.  And it's when I became VERY interested in them!  You should smell that dough!


Once doubled, make an indentation in each ball - Mom uses two fingers on each hand and just pokes a nice well in there.  Fill with the topping of your choice.* 


Cover again and let rise for another 1/2 hour.


Preheat the oven to 375˚F.  Uncover kolaches and bake for 13 - 15 minutes - until lightly browned. 


After you remove them from the oven, you can brush the dough with melted butter - Mom forgot this time and it didn't really seem to matter.


Cool kolache on a wire rack. 


This makes about 4 dozen, depending on how big you make them. 


You can also sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.  


*A note about the filling:  What should that be?  Mom's favorite is to use the filling sheʼd use for a lemon meringue pie.  Or cherry pie.  Can you take a short cut and use canned filling?  Or pudding?  Are you crazy?  Of course!  Or any of the Solo canned things like poppy seed filling or almond filling.  In the past, Mom has done a mix of 4 oz. of cream cheese, blended with 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar, a tablespoon or so of milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.  

You can also put breakfast type fillings in (sausage, cheese, eggs, hash browns - cooked, if appropriate) and seal it into the dough.  :) 


This is how Mom's (and mine) came out:


Mmmm....!  Who wants to come over for kolache!?!?


Luv,

Dave

19 comments:

  1. We wanted to when woo furst shared them

    AND still want to do so!

    They look SOOOOO yummy!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra
    PeeEssWoo: Somehow it is just wrong we don't have a pikhture of that SPECIAL (mis)step in the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    You are such a good cook! I got some doggie treat mix for Christmas so I'm going to have to try my paws in the kitchen. If all goes well, then I'll take the next step and try your recipe. It looks delicious!

    Ozzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:18 PM

    Mom is still drooling over these. Good work Dave!
    Hugs,
    Sitka

    ReplyDelete
  4. w00f's ao4, yummie yummie and yummie..we iz droolin here...

    b safe,
    ~roccky~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so yummy Dave! You are so helpful by guarding the kolaches! Tell your mom thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on my way over! MMMmmm, lemon! I love the smell of fresh, yeasty bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back when we were in Texas, our dad really liked to eat sausage rolls. They were very popular and his coworkers often brought them to work. He just mentioned them yesterday. Maybe kolache dough would work for that? I'm sure you like sausage rolls too since you are Texan.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD, they look wonderful! No wonder you guarded the kitchen so intently!

    ;o)
    M & I

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmm......what else can I say?

    Mya Boo Boo

    ReplyDelete
  10. But Dave, are they as good as Happy Hearts cookies? I sure hope you're all enjoying those!

    Huffle Mawson, Honorary Husky and Explorer Cat

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are making our mouths water or drool or whatever - they look soooooo good, we think we can even smell them here in OP.

    Good Sentry work, Dave.

    Woos, the OP Pack

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, color me THERE! Those look delicious!

    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  13. The human woman is totally cursing your human woman because now she has to go to the store (she had to go anyway, don't let her throw all the blame your way) and buy the stuff to make these. The pictures made her drool on the keyboard, and frankly, I'm thinking some filled with livergreat would be great treats.

    Meeshka

    ReplyDelete
  14. can we have some too??? we'll trade mom's home made pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my! I am astounded because when I first saw the heading on your post I thought it was some bizarre kinda martial arts for Sibes or something. But as dear Wally would say, it was eatables, yummy! They look amazing!

    I wish I could have seen the mis-step picture though, did you hear your Mama say "Kolache!" when she did it?

    I hope you are having a good Christmas, as we are here. Boxers day was good too........my human bruv got some boxers for Christmas, it is a real confusing world eh?

    Marvin xxxxxxx
    hey Dave you could be Dave The Kolache Kid........just a Marvin thought! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, we're on our way! Those kolaches look awesome! Mom wants to know if she can come too?!

    Love ya lots
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMD you have home made Kolache's?!

    I wanna come over!

    Kisses
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOO WOO Dave

    Those look so so good! We are going to beg our mom to make some Kolache for us!

    Hugs
    Thor and Marco Polo

    ReplyDelete