Who We Are

Monday, April 19, 2010

Zim's Stinky Goodness Jerky Treats

Ha roo, pups and cool cats! It's me, Zim! I thought we'd kick off the work week a little differently and post a recipe! It might seem like an unusual recipe, and it's one we've considered not posting, but in case it might help anypup or anykitty out there -- let's go!

How many of you are on restricted diets? Oh, I don't mean you have an evil mom like ours who doesn't let you have all the cheese and popcorn and coffee you want - I mean a restricted, prescription diet, as per your vet's orders? Can I see a show of paws? Don't be shy, hold 'em up. Yeah, that's what I thought. Many of you. Well, due to some health conditions (nothing to worry about, I'm fine, blah blah blah), I am on a very restricted diet, and eat a prescription food. Often there are no treats to go along with prescription diets - to include mine.

We all know snacking is very important! And a couple pieces of your dry prescription kibble is an OK treat ... but not all that exciting! (Especially for those of you with pack-mates who still get cookies!) My mom and Dad came up with some ideas that might help you fill in the snack gap! I'll be leading you through the recipe for my favorite treats - a little something we call Zim's Stinky Goodness Jerky Treats! Ready for the recipe? Here we go!

First step, grab a couple CANS of your prescription food, pop 'em open, and slide the food out whole.

IMG_6080 Canned Prescription Diet Food

Sort of like jellied cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving! Next, get one of those cheese slicers with a wire cutting thingie on it.

IMG_6081 Slice thinly

Slice the canned food into thin slices. Maybe 1/8 of an inch? Thin. This is about the stage where your biped will understand why they're called Zim's Stinky Goodness Treats. Ha roo roo roo! This prescription food isn't HALF as stinky as the one I tried out first! Ha roo roo roo!

But I digress...

Next, you want to get a Stinky Goodness Machine. Ours was at that Bed, Bath and Beyond place, but they're everywhere, disguised under the name "Food Dehydrator". Go figure. Cut the slices in half-moon pieces and line those babies up in the Stinky Goodness Machine. Two cans will fill a 4-tiered machine, if you cut the way we do.

IMG_6085 Line up your slices!

For the record, my dad, the bestest dad in the world, came up with the idea of getting a Stinky Goodness Machine. I think it was right after Mom tried baking some of my treats in the oven. Wow, the whole HOUSE smelled like Stinky Goodness! It was GREAT!

Anyway, for some reason, my mom puts the Stinky Goodness Machine outside on the screened-in part of the deck.

IMG_6086 Dehydrator

I have no idea why. We can't smell it out there!

Cook your treats on the high temperature (for jerky) for a couple hours, until they are as crunchy as you'd like them - or even just to the leathery stage! Just keep checking them - a lot depends on your humidity, how thick your slices are, and the exact kind of prescription food you're on.

IMG_5425 Are they done yet?
"Are they done yet? Are they done yet? Are they done yet?"

Once done to your satisfaction and cooled, store in a tightly sealed container in the magic cold box. Mom said that "tightly sealed" part is really important. I have no idea why.

IMG_6148 Seal tightly

Oooh, doesn't that look great?!!? All that's left now is to do some taste-testing!

IMG_6150 Let the tasting begin!
"I ❤❤❤ Zim's Stinky Goodness Jerky Treats!"

Mom also makes other treats for me using the kibble. I'll post the recipe for those another time! Also, the people who make my prescription food gave my vet a list of some people food that I can have in very small quantities. Rice and green peas are on the list - that's how we came up with my sushi Kansas Rolls! I love those! Also thankfully, bananas are on the list, so I can still stand Banana Formation with everySibe!

I hope this helps some of you out there!

Play bows,
Zim

PS: Note from the mom of the Ao4: Any derogatory comments aimed at Hills or other pet food companies will be deleted. That would not be helpful, nor is it relevant to this blog post. Thank you for understanding.

30 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses wet food as treats (though my way is slightly different). I feed Merrick kibble, but usually don't give Marge wet food in her meals. Well, I had the bright idea one day to open up a can, take out all of the big chunks of meaty stuff, set it on a paper towel to dry out a bit, and then use that as a treat. It has worked wonderfully. It's kind of like the caveman version of what you do - LOL!

    My cat eat's Hill's d/d for her allergies, it is literally the only food she can eat. It saved her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - except for that part where your mom does all of that cooking outside rather than inside where every pup can smell it. Seems like it would be just like potpourri, right? Sort of like our food with anchovies in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woof! Woof! Delish! My mom wants to get that COOL "machine" Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your momma is so freaking cool! My momma has never tried to make us treats like that! She is going to copy your momma's brilliant idea as soon as she gets her fingers on that MACHINE!

    Wags and Woofs,
    Mack and Mia

    PeeS. Our momma made those lemon bars and they were delicious! Tell your momma that our momma said thank you very much for sharing the recipe with everydoggy and that she is looking forward to trying some more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Zim...thanks!!! That is so cool to know!! My mom needs to get one of those machines. I seem to be on a prescription meal plan way too often and now my mom can fix some good treats for me!! Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a pawesome idea!!! I gotta get mom to buy one of those machines! :) I have to eat Hill's C/D and it can get very boring! Luckily, I can still eat some other treats, like chicken jerky and lamb, but I have to stay away from veggies as much as possible. Thanks for the great tip on treats!!! :)

    Mochi & Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for a treat!
    Are apples on your "ok to eat" list? Darwin feel very bad for you if they aren't cause those are her FAVORITE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite interesting...taking vet food and making nummy treats. I think this calls for a trip to the store...Come on mom lets go!

    Wags and Licks,
    Mollie Jo & Bobo & Uncle Puppy by Proxy

    ReplyDelete
  9. We think that is an excellent idea - thanks for the tip!
    At the moment neither of us have yucky diets but we will bear that in mind!
    love
    Martha & Bailey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our Dad bought one of those machines because he was going to make jerky for himself (jerk) but he has never used it. Maybe we can talk him into making some treats for us even though we still have more cookies than anyone can imagine; some new varieties would be good and healthier.

    Thanks for the idea Zim.

    Remy and Flash

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look so yummy! Thank you for the recipe!
    I love my Hills k/d treats! Mom picks up a bag of them every now and then from my vet! They were made especially for me, ya know!
    We gotta have our treats, right?!

    Love ya lots,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoah....MAma says she may have a treat that Bilbo may like....Hmmmmmm

    Smileys!
    Dory

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm those look good.. Stink is definitely a good name for them...

    Big Sloppy Kisses
    Gus, Louie and Callie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to run and get Beth -- she said that is the coolest thing she has ever seen! Thank you SO much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh fantastic yummies!!! Love the chewy treaty stuffs...wish I got more of those! Enjoy!

    Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woooos! Lucky woo! Woo Mom and Dad must really love woo to make those stinky yummy treats fur woo! My mum is too busy to make me anything these days....
    ~husky kisses~
    -Kira The BeaWootiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Zim,

    First of all, I want to applaud you for training your human to come up with tasty and good for you snacks like that.
    Secondly, I know it comes as no surprise to announce that my human woman has the EXACT same food dehydrator. I'm hoping she uses it to make me some stinky treats.

    Meeshka

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those treats look really good Zim and what a great idea for using prescription diet stinky goodness! I'm not on a prescription diet yet and I can't eat canned food without everyone knowing why it's called stinky goodness - or maybe it's why I'm called Stinky! Ha roo roo!

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Guys,

    That food looks goood!!! Mommy said she will send your cross later this week. Our hooman sister is sick so mommy is taking care of the grandbabies for a few days.

    Luv you guys,

    Riley and Star.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bipeds are furry creative, Zim. (Of course we all know that anyway, what with your mom's cool pics & projects and all). Our mom says maybe she'll try making some for me too, cause she worries our treats are maybe not really all that good fur us. thaks fur the recipe!

    jack a-roo & noo too

    ReplyDelete
  21. OOh ooh! throw me some!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is furry amazing! Those sound yummalicious, but so sorry you wasn't able to scent the delish smells coming from the stinky machine as it worked its magick! I thinks your mom is a genius to make those for you and if i ever have a problem with foodables, I will have momzers make dis fur me! Thanks for the recipe!
    Hugs xoxoxoxo
    Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh thish post was just delicousness
    full of nom nom nommies
    **drool**

    pibble sugars
    the pittie pack

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was hooked at the work "Stinky"!

    I don't understand why your mom doesn't want the house to smell of Zim's Stinky Goodness Jerky Treats! Its a bit weird! I bet it would give the house a lovely pleasant meaty aroma!

    Koda MD

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous6:01 AM

    WOW! what a great idea! ya, i'm with the Herd on this one. you definitely need stinky potpourri in the house. it's just a silly to make them outside where that aroma is wasted in the fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The stinkier the better I say. Those look wonderful!

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea! We aren't on restricted diets, but we are on DIETS! I, Penny, have lost 16 pounds in a year and Patches has lost 9! Woohoo! Mom is always looking for treats that aren't people food. Putting the dehydrator outside is a great idea...for the PEOPLE anyway!

    Aire-hugs,
    Penny & Patches

    ReplyDelete
  28. Our mom tried that baking in the oven thing once with Monty's Rx diet once, and mom about threw up from the smell!

    We haven't tried the dehydrator yet! Might have to do that!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those look YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful idea! Thank you!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete