Who We Are

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Serene Scenery Sunday

Greetings to all!  It's me, Maggie!  This week, I helped Mom out with a little something that made her feel all kinds of serene.  I thought I'd spread the serenity by sharing the story with you!

Us girls were out on our early morning walk, having just a great time!  Mom heard a birdie singing, looked up, and saw that it was a Western Kingbird.  She got all kinds of excited because those guys only visit us during the Summer and Mom hadn't gotten any shots of them this year!  Then she realized - there she was, a couple miles from Ao4 Headquarters with nothing to show but two Siberians hooked to her belt and an iPhone.  So she started saying, "Hey, Mr. Western Kingbird ... if I was to come back here this afternoon, would you ..."  Yeah, right.  Like that's going to happen!  But it was worth a try!

I convinced Mom she should take me with her!  I jumped into the RAV4 and put on my serious Birding Face.

IMG_9524MagsInTheRAV4
"Let's roll, Mom!  I'm totally on this Eastern Kingbird thing."
"Western, Mags.  Western Kingbird."
"Yeah.  Whatever."

At least I could remember where exactly we saw him, which is more than I can say for someone else around here.  Anyway ... we got to the intersection where we had spotted him - and LOOK!!!

IMG_9772WesternKingbird
Western Kingbird!

What are the odds that he'd still be there?!?  And more importantly ... why was he still there?  Mom looked around, and to her delight, she saw why!

IMG_9769WesternKingbirdBabies
"FEED ME!  FEED ME!!!"
"DAD!  DAD, where are you going?  MOM?!?"

"You guys are squishing me!"

That's right - a nest full of babies!  How sweet is that?!?

For the record, we aren't sure if we saw the male or the female Western Kingbird. They look a LOT alike!  They stay together to feed their babes for up to three weeks after they're old enough to fly!

Here's another shot of the proud parent:

IMG_9778WesternKingbird
"I ❤️my babies!"


Mom was so happy about seeing the Western Kingbird and the babies!  I suggested we drive around a bit and I'd find her some more birds!

We found a Barn Swallow actually holding still:

IMG_9808BarnSwallow
"Humph!"

Pouting about something, but at least he held still!

We also spotted another Western Kingbird!

IMG_9822WesternKingbird
Western Kingbird #2

Mom was stoked.  Me?  We were going for a ride!  What's not to love about that?

Here's a female House Sparrow, striking a pose:

IMG_9829FemaleHouseSparrow
"Hello!"

And when we were almost back at the house, I spotted this guy!

IMG_9842Bunny
BUNNY!

He was very cute.  Mom was thankful we were in the vehicle, not on foot.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps it's because it was hot out?  It's not like I'd try to chase him or anyth--OK, I would.  I can't help it, though - it's instinctual!

Anyway, I hope our Birding outing helped you feel serene, too!  Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Yours sincerely,
Margaret Thatcher

10 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday loves!! Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh they are gorgeous! The babies are sooooooooooo cute! But...I LOVE your "serious bird face" xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. pawsome shots of the Western Kingbird and family! good work finding the other birds and the bunny, Maggie. Have a great rest-of-the-day!

    pip, smidgen, minnie, hollie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birdies are so beautiful but we would want to chase that bunny!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you were able to find the kingbird for your mom again. How cool that you found their nest too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where in heavens' name did they make that nest - it looks like it is on a telephone pole?

    Maggie, we would be right there with you chasing the bunny - they sure do run fast.

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMD! What great shots! And of the nest too! Ut oh . . . wait a minute . . . I might have to chase that bunny!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  8. BUNNY!!!!

    Oh...and Mama is ooooo-ing and aaahhhh-ing over those birdies too.....


    BUNNY!!!!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  9. We'd love to go birdie watching too but we have to do it from inside. The barn swallow made us giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was fun to look at all those pretty birdies!

    Ziggy Out!!

    ReplyDelete