Who We Are

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Studio Help

Greetings to all!  It's me, Maggie!  After my last efforts to help my mom in her Quilt Studio, she seemed to abandon working down there for a while.  I'm quite certain it's due to how much work we were able to get done.  Mom seems to agree with me, but something about not meaning it quite the way I do.  I have no idea what she means.  Anyway ...

A very dear, special friend of Mom's asked her if she could do something for her - and that meant us heading back down to the Studio!  Her sweet Labrapuppy Buddy passed away and she wondered if Mom could do something with his collar for her husband.  Mom was so touched that she'd trust such a special keepsake to her and promised to give it a go!  With something this notable, I just knew she'd need my help!

IMG_3711MagsKeyFobForMarilyn
"Is that his collar?  Oh... he smells like he was a very wonderful guy."

Even though Mom's friend washed Buddy's collar, I could still smell him.  I could tell he was very special.  I insisted on inspecting Mom's work.

After she did some cutting and pinning, I needed to take a look.

IMG_3713MagsKeyFobForMarilyn
"Let me see, Mom!  Oooh, can I eat that?"

Sadly, Mom wouldn't let me eat the pin head.  I have no idea why not.  It looked like a flower.  She suggested I go play with my toys.  I think she was afraid I was working too hard. 

Instead of chomping on a chew toy, I decided to see what was in the closet in the inner room of the Studio.  I mean - Mom left the door open, so that was as good as an invitation - right?

IMG_3710MagsStudioCloset
"Hmm... lots of fabric and ... HEY!  Is that Roger?!?"

For some reason, Mom ran in and shut the door.  Probably didn't want Roger out running around, distracting her from her work.  (I've only met Roger once.  You can click here and scroll down to learn more about him and our meeting.  Our encounter was rather memorable.)

Mom thought I should come back out to the outer Studio where she was.  Something about there being "less distractions" out there.  I'm not sure what she meant by---

IMG_3714MagsStudio
"Hey, Mom!  What's under here?!?!"

Anyway, Mom was rolling right along by then, anyway.  She was done with part of what she was making.  I asked if I could sniff some of the collar parts she cut off.  She was going to discard them, but after I checked it out, she said that gave her another idea!  She started doing more cutting and taking apart and re-sewing. I entertained myself across the room.

IMG_3720MagStudio
"What to do, what to do ..."

As boring as it sounds, I eventually laid down and played with my KONG for a while.  I know.  I'm not sure what came over me.  It made Mom happy, though.

Before I knew it, she had finished up the first part of what she was doing ...

IMG_3721KeyFobForMarilyn
Buddy's collar, made into a cool key fob

... and eventually the rest of her project, too!  She was able to make a second fob for her friend!

IMG_3725KeyFobsForMarilyn
Two key fobs made from Buddy's collar -
and a "Hold the Phone! Bag" to use when they walk their other puppy!

Anyway, Mom said I was a lot of help.  Oddly enough, she said Cammie was really helpful, too, and all she did was curl up and take a nap.  How on Earth is that helping?  Anyway, we hope the key fobs will help Mom's friend and her husband feel like they're carrying special memories of Buddy with them everywhere they go!  Mom was so touched to be entrusted with such a special project!

I hope we spend more time in the Studio again soon.  I really like working down there!

Yours sincerely,
Margaret Thatcher

14 comments:

  1. How cool your mom has her own professional quilt room. You are the biggest help!
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very cool thing your momma did for her friend, what a wonderful idea...my mom was a drooling over all the pretty fabric....stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. they will treasure those forever we are sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and thoughtful project!! I can imagine how happy they will be to have Buddyfob with them all the time. You did a great job of helping, I am sure you gave lots of inspiration. You must be tired after all that work.


    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. We bet your mom's friend really liked that and appreciated it tons!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super special memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just the perfect gift and something they'll use every single day! Our mom is drooling at all of the beautiful fabrics inside your mom's closet.

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD how SPECIAL and USEFUL... and they will be LOVED... your mom did a Wonderful thingy... BRAVO to her...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so so beautiful Mags. Your MOM's friends will no doubt love it as they carry a part of Buddy with them.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so helpful Maggie. Thank goodness you listen to mom though or else you might be trying to eat a pin or something. I think your mom made a very special set of keychains and they will be very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How kind and we know mum's friend will treasure those. Have a tremendous Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great idea....we bet Buddy's mom and dad will love it. and we have NO doubt you were a great help :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh - I love that idea!

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you were exceptionally helpful Mags!

    ReplyDelete