Who We Are

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Runner!

Woo, everypup and everycat.  It's me, Dave, Guide Dog for the Color Blind.  The title of this post might be a little deceptive, given that I'm a rough and tumble sled dog and all.  Or at least I know some guys/gals who are.  I don't mean "runner" like what Zim and I like to do, I mean "runner" like a table runner.  Ha woo.

Anyway, remember a while ago, I told you that I was helping my mom with a super secret project?  (Click here for a reminder.)  I chose some really special fabrics to make a table runner for our buddy Mitch's mom!  We'd been wanting to do something for her for a long time - we've been blogging friends for a long, long time!  When they lost dear, sweet Maggie, we thought we could express our condolences best through a quilted project -- and that's how the runner came about.  I saw their dining room reno on the blog and KNEW I could find the perfect fabrics in Mom's stash!

Once I chose the perfect fabrics, Mom got busy doing this:

IMG_6478

Zim worked doubly hard, guarding her so she could concentrate, and I lent her my moral support while she sewed. Before we knew it, the top was together. Dad came in to help, too! Here he is, holding up the top of the runner:

IMG_6528

Good job, Dad! (I would have done that, but I'm not tall enough.)

Mom pieced a back together and sandwiched it with the top, batting in between, then it was time to choose the quilting thread. Mom needed my help, as she has a hard time distinguishing anything in the yellow/orange/gold/brown part of the color wheel.

IMG_6553
"I don't think that's the one.  Let's see what else we've got!"

She almost used that one, but I let her know how strongly I was against it:

IMG_6556
"Pllllllffffftttt!"

Finally, she chose one just a few shades different, and I could rest easy!

IMG_6558

As you can see, I have a toy there in case Mom needed to take a break and play Fetch with me. Woo.

After the quilting process, it was time to sew the binding on. I was there every step of the way, lending my expertise!

IMG_6600
"I understand using the orange thimble because it's comfy, Mom...
but it REALLY clashes with the colors in the runner!"

You'd think she'd move the thimble out of the way for the photo op...

Here it is, all finished and ready to get boxed up to go to Mitch's mom!

DSCN3128

It made us so happy to hear Mitch's mom's reaction - and to see it on her dining room table! Click here and scroll down to the last picture in the post to see what a perfect fit it is!!! (You can click the photo to make it bigger!)  We sewed a lot of love and good memories of Maggie into that runner - and hope M&M's mom will enjoy it for years to come!

I hope you enjoyed the behind the scenes look into our secret project!

Luv,
Dave

22 comments:

  1. That is so totally unbelievably beautiful!!! Your mom is just so talented - together with your aid in choosing the colors, Dave, it couldnt' help but be as gorgeous as it is! We've been pals with angel Maggie and Mitch for a while too - going over there now to see it on their table!
    Hugs xoxoxo
    Sammie and Avalon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The secret project was worth waiting to see, it's just beautiful.Very special.
    It's perfect for their table.

    The silvers and more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors Dave. Your mom is really talented. We enjoy seeing her projects.

    Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very much COOL DROOL Post. I like to see thingys being constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just beautiful. You are amazing at helping pick colors and supervising. I'd hate to think what would have been made if you had not been there. whewww.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, you are very punny.

    Second, that's beautiful!

    xoxo,

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  7. My J says to tell your Ma it is glorious, totally beautiful and how kind your Ma is to make such a lovely thing.

    All I want to say is ........when you woo this part of your post....

    "Mom pieced a back together and sandwiched it with the top, batting in between, then it was time to choose the quilting thread. Mom needed my help, as she has a hard time distinguishing anything in the yellow/orange/gold/brown part of the color wheel."

    what was actually in the sandwich, and was it good to eat?????

    licks, and love, Hungry Marvin xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave, you are an incredibly good Sibe to help with that project from start to finish! I'm sure your mom really appreciates you.
    Bryn & Dolly ...and Maui

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You and your mom are super-talented and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was very sweet of you and your mum to do that, Davy.

    Huffs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super Like it!!

    Cheers,
    Maxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:54 PM

    that's very pretty. i have no skills in crafts at all. everything i do is lopsided. sigh. it's always nice to appreciate others who can do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THAT IS BEAUTIFUL! You do such great work! I hope I can do that well someday....

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is beautiful! Your mom is so talented! Im sure it wouldnt have turned out quite as nice without both of you helping her out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for introducing us to another Singapore blog! If a Sibe can make it in the heat of Singapore than surely a Dane can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew just what you were referring to with that title, but it's probably because I saw it on M&M's blog first. I guess being a fellow quilter we think of quilted runners first and physically running second. You know it would be difficult to make a runner while you are running. Nice work Dave & Mom.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! It's so awesome to see all of the work and love that went into this gorgeous table runner! We can't thank you all enough. What a treat it is to see it in the making! Thank you, thank you! We will treasure our special gift for the rest of our lives!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. The runner is very beautiful and looks perfect on Mitch's mom's table! We're glad you clarified that was your dad behind the runner because we thought your mom put arms on it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a sweet thoughtful gift! To see how hard you all worked and the amazing creation for wonderful friends...makes our hearts smile!
    Hope mom did take some breaks to play fetch with you too :)

    Big hugs,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! My momma has total runner envy. What a wonderful gift and I am sure your mom couldn't have done it without you.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful runner to make. You and your mom are truly special people. Sure glad you are around for comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a lovely present! We love the dark fabric with the little autumnal coloured flowers! :-)

    ReplyDelete