Who We Are

Sunday, March 15, 2009

We Interrupt Our Normally Scheduled Posting...

...to bring you a special Ao4 Celebration!

Tail wags, dear readers!  It's me, Stormy.  It's a big day here at Ao4 HQs - my Storm-a-versary!  My homecoming!  Adopt-a-Storm Day!  My Gotcha Day!  Whatever you'd like to call it, it's the day I found my forever home.  Well, actually the DATE I was adopted is tomorrow, but since it was on a Sunday and I promised Zimmie he could post about his cool adventure tomorrow, it's close enough!  (This is not my honorary birthday.  We celebrate that in September.)  

A couple years ago, I posted the story of how I got here.  The redheads and Dave thought I should go ahead and post it again instead of linking back to it, since we have a lot of new friends out there reading.  Great idea, pups. Just grab some cookies and a bowl of water and settle in!  We'll join that post, in progress, adding in some pix Mom took of me today ...
"...By late 1996, I had been on the road a long, long time. I won't tell anyone where I came from, but I was picked up by the local Animal Control people and landed in the slammer. (The same one Zim and Dave did stints in, but at a different time.) I had been on the road so long, my paws were bloody. That's a lot of time and a lot of miles. Yes, that means I'm a Roads Scholar. (Ha roo roo roo to those of you who get the pun!) I was adopted from there by a couple who had a rather unfriendly, large, powerful dog who did not care for me. Neither one of us got any exercise ... and that's just torture for pups - especially large ones and especially Siberian Huskies! That made a bad situation worse.

By March (1997), the people gave up on me and tried to return me to the shelter. They couldn't take "returns" and would have had to euthanize me! They pleaded with the people (
God bless them!) to please just try placing an ad in the local paper - just one ad! Please?!? Fortunately for me, they agreed - and even more fortunately for me, my dad just happened to be perusing the paper that fateful morning!

Mom made the call - the only one those people got! - and she and Dad drove out to get me. They came into the house and the man there held my collar tight, like I was an attack dog or something. I wriggled free and threw myself at who I knew would be my new dad.
"Let's get out of here!" 
Me and Dad reenacting our first meeting 
I gave my future mom my best "Harp Seal Look" even though I was fairly sure I'd won her over already. They told the people they wanted me (me! someone wanted ME!) and we were on our way. The lady followed us out of the house and my new mom asked if I would like to go potty before we headed home. The other lady said, "Oh, I just had her out." Yeah, right. I shot her a look, then went potty for a long, long potty time. We got in the car and never looked back!
Me, giving Mom the Harp Seal look this morning
On the way home, we talked about a name. The other people had called me "Storm". My new parents were going to change my name, mostly so I'd get a fresh start, but as we drove onto Fort Riley, the military installation where we lived, a Kansas storm was blowing in. A detail of soldiers was lowering the American flag at post headquarters and was putting up a "storm" flag -- a smaller, tougher version. Ha ROO! Mom and Dad took it as a sign that the name fit, but softened it a bit by mostly calling me Stormy! Now I go by either one - or Storms. I was about one and a half years old when I came home..."
I hope you enjoyed that!  Celebrate with me today, and celebrate the official date tomorrow!

Stormaversary 2009

Tail wags,
Stormy

38 comments:

  1. What a special day that was fur woo and the mommy and daddy!! Not to mention the reds and Dave! Woo all is lucky and in loves! Congrats on your DAY and I hope woo get a special mealtime treat!

    Mya Boo Boo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Storm-a-versary!!!

    We're very happy that you found your furever mom and dad.


    Princess Eva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Gotcha Day Storm! What a great story of how you found your forever home! I'm sorry to hear about what you went through before finding your true Mommy and Daddy but thankfully fate stepped in and you did find them! Enjoy your day and I hope you get an extra cookie or two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Storm-a-versary! We are soooooo glad you found your furever home with great peoples and doggies that love you! We hope you get extra special treats today AND tomorrow!

    Aire-hugs,
    Poppy, Penny & Patches

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Storm-a-versery to woo! am glad that woo found such a wonderful furever home! It is great that you found them in the nick of time!
    -Kira and Scampi (also re-homed!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Storms, we are so happy for you. All of us have tissues over here right now. It is wonderful story with a happy ending, which are rare these days. Thanks for sharing your life story with us. I for one am glad your paws are all healed up now and you have a perfect furever home with great friends and family.

    Lots of puppy love to ya,

    Ozzie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure lucked out getting such a great home. It's nice to be wanted, isn't it!

    Happy Homecoming Day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We enjoyed you telling the story of your adoption into your forever home.
    It just needs the right people and the right home doesnt it!
    So happy you found each other.
    Happy storm-aversary from us too.
    Probably spelt wrong!
    love
    Martha & Bailey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 12th Storm-a-versary!!!

    We are soooo very happy that your dad was reading the paper that day!

    We hope you get lots of treats today!

    Lots of Luv & Kisses
    Addie and Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Stormy, what a great story! As one who spent 3 months in the slammer, I know its tough, but its almost better to be in a decent slammer than with people who don't care! I am so glad we both got the best peoples!

    Happy Storm-a-versary to you on this great day!

    Kisses,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo there Stormy~
    WHAT A FURRI SPECIAL DAY!! We are all so glad that your Dad saw the ad and brought you to a wonderful home. I hope your Storm-a-versary is Summi-sized special. My Mom wants me to paw off some special snooter kisses for your special day. Woos to your sis and brothers!!
    Your pal,
    Summii

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Storm-A-Versary!

    Will woo get a pup pup puppy?

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Storm-aversary! Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. Have a great day.
    ~lickies, Ludo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Storm-a-versary!!!

    We have heard the story before but it is certainly worth repeating and us reading again So glad that ad was in the paper that day and that Dad saw it. We don't even want to think about what could have happened otherwise.

    We hope you have a wonderful day both today and tomorrow and for that matter, many happy days to come.

    Tail wags, the OP Pack

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Storm-aversary!
    We are so glad to hear that you found such a wonderful furever home! It was certainly meant to be.
    Thank woo for sharing your story. Most of our clan spent time in the slammer too, so we SO understand!
    Have a wonderful DOUBLE celebration with extra treats!
    Love,
    Skye & the Moondance Huskies

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Stormaversary Stormy! That is such a touching story. woos, we sure are glad it had such a happy ending! We'll go have a few Happy Hearts to celebrate your big day!

    woos & a-roos,
    Star & Jack a-roo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for letting us share your special day Stormy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Storm-a-versary Stormy!!! Woo are such an amazing lady and are just adorable.....bet woo stole some hearts when woo were a little pupper!

    We hope woo have a fury fury happy special day and that woo get a nice walk, lots of treats and special times with your the A04 and your bipeds!

    Woo Woos and kisses on yur snooter
    Princey
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Stormaversary! I love a story with a happy ending.

    Huffle Mawson

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Storm-aversary! Maw's heart was breaking when she read your story and den it gots happy again because of your maw and pa seeing da ad and coming to git you! Dat's always a happy ending when we gits our furever home! We wish all of woo many many furry happy years together.

    Husky kisses,
    Biloxi

    ReplyDelete
  21. HAPPY GOTCHA DAY BEAUTIFUL STORMY! You couldn't have ended up in a better home!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We love the new wide blog layout, great photos too pups!

    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Storm-a-versary!!!

    We are so happy that you found your furever home!

    Hope you get lots of toys, treats and cuddles!

    Mochi

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so glad you found your forever home, sorry it had to be the way it did but you lucked out for sure. Happy Storm-a-versary to you. Also I would have never guessed you have been around that long, you look great!! Love and Licks. Mason D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratwoolations on your Stormaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Stormy!
    Happy Storm-a-versary!
    That day you came to be an important part of your family!
    I am sure you had a pawesome day!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy happy anniversary Stormy! We love your harp seal look....and it makes the humans among us turn to jelly....we can get whatever we want from Mum now....thanks buddy!
    Hope you have (had) a fantastic day, you and your folks were so lucky to find each other, it's a lovely story :D
    Slobbers xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. A very, very happy Stormaversary to you!!! You sure have a pawsome home and pawsome Sibelings too! Have a great day, and be sure to use those Harp Seal eyes to get lots of HH treats!!!!!

    Holly and Khady Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dearest Stormy

    My Jeannie is a bit teary after reading your post, but we are so glad everything had such a happy ending!

    I am sooooooooooooo happy you found your Furever Home.

    It was funny to click on the link which sent us back to our Cow Eyes mention from such a long,long time ago when we first started blogging.

    Happy Storm-a-versary! You were all our first blogging friends! We love you all! ;0)))))))))))))

    lotsaluv and many happy licks, Marvin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. pee ess I meant to bark, of course we were sad we could not actually read our "cow eyes" actual post! But reading your original post which mentioned it, made us realise how long we have been pals! ;0)

    Cow Eyed Marvin ;0D xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous2:23 AM

    Happy Storm-A-Versary, Stormy!!!!! And many happy returns. Thanks for posting the story of how you came to live the the Ao4 in your furever home. It made our Ma cry!!! We're so happy for you!!!!!

    Hugs and kisses,
    Josh and Jess

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Stormaversary. :)

    ~ Bae

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Stormaversary! As rescues who don't tell where we started either, we salute you and your humans.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awww Stormy, that made my Mummy all leaky. We are very happy you found a furever home :)
    Big licks to you
    Suzuki
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm so glad your Dad read the paper that day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You certainly had a tough start but you landed in the perfect home for sure. We are so glad your Dad was reading the paper that day!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Storm-a-versary! You were destined to become the boss of the Army of Four! How else could it have worked out so well?

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ahhhh, HAPPY STORMAVERSARY!! I am sooo glad you got your family when you did. :) They are lucky to have you and you them.

    Kisses,
    Nala

    ReplyDelete