Who We Are

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Don't Wish Me A Happy Birthday ...

... because that's in January!

Ha roo, pups and cool cats, it's me, Zim!  Today is NOT my birthday, but it is Adopt-a-Zim Day!!!  My Zimaversary!  My Gotcha Day!  Yep!  Eleven years ago today, Mom and Dad sprang me from the shelter and I came home!

Here's what I looked like:

Zim 18 JUL 01
Me.  Zim.  18 July 2001.

Here's the story of me, as we know it.  I had been chained to a tree for a year and a half, not much food, not much water.  No social interaction, no walks, no house, no car rides.  Someone tried to shave me (please see this post for more info on shaving) and I made my escape about half-way through.

I'm not sure how long I had been on the road when a "Good Samaritan" found me.  He was a neighbor of Mom and Dad's and a day or two after he found me, we ran into Dad and my sisters.  Dad told the guy that I was a "beautiful Siberian Husky"; the guy didn't know much about us Siberians.  Mom and Dad made a point of running into that guy a couple times over the course of the next few days, encouraging him and telling him if he needed ANYTHING at all to please call them.  I had been with him for a week or so, when he gave up on me and dumped me at the shelter.  Mom and Dad ran into him just after he got back.  "Oh, no!" they said.  "We would have taken him in!" and off they flew to try to spring me.

Since I wasn't that guy's pup to begin with, the rules of the shelter were I had to stay there for 5 days in case my "owners" wanted to claim me.  Mom and Dad weren't happy, but they understood completely. Me?  I didn't care.  I'm sorry to say that I really didn't care about anything.  I had given up.

Mom came to see me every day and read to me from a book called Starship Troopers.  There was a cool Drill Sergeant in the book who saved the universe from the evil bugs and was a real hero.  His name was ... Zim.

She also came in with my sisters' smells all over her - and brought some of their fuzzies so I could get familiar with their scents.  I just laid there, taking it all in.

18 July 2001 came - and Mom and Dad came and got me and took me home.  I still didn't care about much - yet here were these bipeds being nice to me!  They were patient and calm and gentle.  And there were the two Siberian girls who were the most remarkable pups I had ever met!

Stormy taught me the rules of the house.  I had never been in one.  I had to learn that the dining room table is different from a hill (who knew?) and that lifting your leg on the centerpiece on said table is not a good idea.  I was REALLY shy of people, and Mom was trying to build the trust between us - so she didn't want to do too much discipline.  Stormy could do it in her own way, though - and in a way I understood.  Stormy taught me some rules - then Mom "redirected" me.  It didn't take long for me to learn at all!

Amber, my sweet sister Ammy, taught me about love and trust and that there is good in the world.  I was clinically anorexic when I got there (according to my vets); my tummy was so tiny it was a major accomplishment for me to eat 5 pieces of kibble.  As much as Ammy loved her food, what did she do?  She took food out of her own bowl during dinner and brought it over to me to eat.  She stuck by me all the time, comforting me and helping me trust my new environment and people.

Here's a pic of us from a day or two later:

Mike and the Pack

Notice how Ammy is watching over me, making sure I'm OK?  I'm still umbilical corded, as you can see by the leash in dad's hand, but I was starting to relax a little.  And there's Stormy.  Doesn't she look happy?!?  And proud?  She treated Ammy and I like we were her very own puppies!

So - those were the early days!  All of that sad/bad stuff is over and done with.  Today, I am a happy-go-lucky guy who loves to explore, loves to play, and loves all of God's creatures (though I'm still wary of some bipeds...).

DSCN4091 Zim
"Ha roo, world!"

So - who's up to help celebrate my Zimaversary with me?!?  Meet me at Sonic for Happy Hour - the Cherry-Limeades are on me!

IMG_9788 Zim
I really don't have red eyeshadow on; it must be the reflection off the cup!

Let's get this party started!

Play bows,
Zim

36 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Hey Zim,
    You hit the lottery didn't ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:19 AM

    I'd prefer not to cry this early in the day. Such a wonderful story of your joining this wonderful family! Did I remember to say how wonderful I think you are? :) Sorry, I guess when my eyes leak tears, they leak brain cells, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Zimaversary to you! I didn't realize you had such a sad past, but you sure landed in the right place. Nina and I will meet you at the Sonic. Those drinks sound very refreshing.

    Cindy & Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Zimaversary mate! Thanks for sharing all your great adventures with us, play bows,

    RA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Zim-aversary! We love your story. Stormy does look super happy to have another puppy to nuture. We don't have a sonic in Maryland, but I bet Mom will go have a lemon-berry slush in your honor since she is in Texas!

    Steve & Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. MOM and I just love your story Zim. I mean we didn't like the sad and bad stuff, we just love that you ended up where you were meant to be. What a blessing you are to your family. Happy Zimaversary! I'll meet you at Sonic. I think I will get a cheese burger with my drink.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Zim-aversary!!!! We knew part of it but hadn't read the full story. We are so very very glad that you were found by your forever family. We aren't sure about citrus, but mom said she would have one for us (she LOVES her some cherry-limeade).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude! Happy Gotcha Day! And you are named after THAT Zim?!? How totally cool is that? Make sure you get a cheeseburger (or three). No Gotcha Day celebration is complete without cheeseburgers. (And Mom is oohing and aahing about Starship Troopers. Apparently that is one of her favorite 'go to' books. As a side note, when Dad was hospitalized one time, Mom read him 'Starman Jones'. Dad did NOT change his name to Max, but the idea is the same, right?!?)

    *kissey face*
    -Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tears all around here--the happy kind.

    We are so glad your family found you!

    Happy Zimmaversary.

    We love those pulls too! They really match my stache. Don't you think?

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Zimmie, you sure found the right home where your zimsterrific spirit could soar! Happy happy gotcha day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Zimaversary Zim! Your story made our mommy all leaky first because of the sad and then because of the happy because of your sisters and your happy family! We're so glad you are part of the Army now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loki, Rowan and I wish you a very happy Zimaversary! You sure lucked out, Zim, but your Mom and Dad lucked out too having you as part of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAPPY HAPPY ZIMaversary!! I am sooooo glad to be able to help you CELEBRATE this most SPECIAL Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have always wanted to go to Sonic! We're there! Happy Gotcha Day, Zim! You've got the BEST family ever!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Zim, we are so happy you found your forever home.
    Your story made our human cry! We have told her that we dogs aren't so emotional and only care about the here and now - the here and now is very good!
    Still we must admit that even we bassets were moved to know that Ammy brought you food from her bowl - there is no greater love!
    We are just booking a flight from Scotland to be with you for your party Zim.
    Sending you lots and lots of love on your special day.
    So much more important than a birthday - any dog can have one of those!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. goodness gracious zim, you've quite a story to tell! i'm so sorry you had to go through all that bad stuff. thank dog you found your forever home with a family that loves you.
    happy gotcha day zim!!!
    xoxo, bailey

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sure hit the jackpot with your family, Zimmy! I'm so glad that they found you and were able to show you the kind of dog you deserved to be. Happy happy happy Adoptiversary!

    And hey -- we have almost the same rescue day! Mine was yesterday!! But since that that was the day I went into my foster home, not the day Momma got me, we just celebrate that one privately. The big parties are for my birthday and Adoptiversary. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Zim.....that's a wonderful "Gotcha" story. All 3 of us are 'Gotcha' gals. Mom tells us our stories whenever we ask her with out eyes. It makes us so happy when we hear all our friends stories and that they all found the BEST families to be with.
    Bryn, Maui and Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Zimaversary, Big Guy! We are so happy you found the perfect family for you, and that you were able to learn that life and people are mostly very good.

    You might like to know that all three of us are rescues!

    Jo, Stella and Zkhat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, happy Zimmyversary. What a wonderful story of how you came to your forever home. We are so pleased you found such a wonderful place full of love :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Birthdays are wonderful but Gotcha days are true blessings for both sides! What a lucky pup you were to be saved from the scary ol' shelter!
    XoXo's
    Sarah & le Weens
    http://doxiejibberish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Zim, you are the MAN !!!!! and Ammy, Stormy, Dave and the parents are awesome too.

    Happy Zimaversary to you, we are glad your life turned out so good. We will celebrate you tonight.

    Remy and Flash

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Gotcha Day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy gotcha day my bestest friend! I have always loved that story of Ammy giving you her kibble; it still makes mum cry!

    I'm on my way; how do you get to Sonic?

    Huffs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy happy gotcha Day, Zim! Woozers, that story about your sad start had us in tears, but also furry grateful woo landed in such a marvelously savvy sibe lovin' house! Ammy & Storm really were remarkable, but they knew a good thing when they saw it (we mean YOU)! Ha-roo rooroo,
    see woo at Sonic!

    jack & moo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Zim-aversary, Zim! we are sorry you had a rough start but God had a plan for you (and your peeps :)) Look at you now! Life is good! we love the pictures with you and your sisters (and your dad!). We're heading over to Sonic too - we'll have a mocha with whip, hold the mocha ;-/ Hope you're havin a great day!

    Pip, Smidgen, Minnnie, HOllie

    ReplyDelete
  27. OoH what a happy day! Happy Gotcha Day my furiend!

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae and Max

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Zimaversary Day!
    What a wonderful story

    The silvers and more

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous10:41 PM

    Oh Cod! Zim!!! My Mom has such leaky eyes, not sure she can type for me!! You are such a wonderful Sibe!! All Sibes are wonderful in our family's opinion...arrrwooo wooo play bows and some extra Savvy Paw Pats on your Gotcha Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have a special Zim kind a day
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wooo Zimmie!! You were definitely one lucky pup and found an awesome furever home! A very happy Zimaversary to you!!

    Holly & Khady

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Zimaversary!!!
    Such a happy ending to a not so happy beginning!
    Love Ammy and the way she shared her kibble with you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Zimaversary!!

    You had a difficult road to walk before your parents found you but the best was yet to come :)

    BIG hugs to you Zim!

    Lots of Luv & Kisses
    Addie, Lucie and Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  34. Zim-zim, I am sorry I missed your important day! I have been so busy I didn't get to read blogs a lot. Your survival story is an inspiration and your peeps are such beautiful people. And you and your family really made a difference in this world especially with this blog, reaching out to many readers. You always make me feel happier;) sincerely.

    I'll be back,
    Sankissjuice

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG, Zim, your story is amazing !!
    It's so nice your mom and dad came to rescue you and wait with you at the shelter, they are sure great people.

    I'm glad you're OK by now with your new pack and I wish you a great belated gotcha day.

    Bisous baveux.

    Echo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Zim! It was great to read your story. You scored big time when you landed at the Ao4 estate. No doubt.

    Now, I know I am late to the party, but maybe there is a little Sonic left?

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete