Who We Are

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Serene Scenery Sunday

Woo, everypup and everycat.  It's me, Dave, here with this week's attempt to add a little serenity to the blogosphere.  Let's start with a look around our gardens, OK?

Here's a look at the bed alongside our driveway:

IMG_9449 Rocky bed along our driveway

Remember when Mom first put the stuff in?!?  It's one of the areas that seems happy in our drought.

How about a closer look at the Dragon's Blood Sedum?

IMG_9574 Dave

One of the nice things about this is that the neighbor pups can stomp on it and leave us cool messages and it really doesn't hurt it much!

Those are among Mom's favorite rocks.  She's done a lot of rock stuff lately, as Zim mentioned the other day.  I won't bore you with it all, but check out this one:

IMG_9560 Rock
"Pass the BBQ sauce, please!"

Is it just me, or does it look like a boneless, skinless chicken breast?  Mom hasn't found the perfect spot for that one yet.  It's not a problem - it's not too big, so she's just moving it around until it looks right.  Oh... how big is it?  About the size of ... a boneless, skinless chicken breast ...

Moving right along -

We haven't shared a sunset picture with you for quite a while!  How about we remedy that!  Here's one from Monday:

IMG_9598 9 July 2012
Sunset over the Flint Hills

Nice, isn't it?  It was good to see some clouds even if we didn't get any rain.

Speaking of which - here's a photo Mom took of one of our lavender plants against a stormy sky:

IMG_9518 Lavender against stormy sky

Those clouds didn't bring us any rain, either, but we were under 100℉ for a few days (37.7℃) which was much appreciated!

While we're out back, the Butterfly Weed is going through another bloom cycle!  Check it out:

IMG_9694 Butterfly Weed

Mom thinks the little bit of green in the rocks, just to the right of the plant might be a Butterfly Weed starter - so she's all kinds of excited about that!

On the other side of that retaining wall, down and to the left, is where Mom put the Plume Grass.  Check it out!

IMG_9693 Plume Grass

It's very happy down there and has tons of room!  (Click here to see how it looked just two weeks earlier!)  That puts Mom right into her serenity zone.  Know what else does?  The last variety of Echinacea is blooming!

IMG_9515 Tomato Soup Echinacea!
Tomato Soup Echinacea

Isn't it cool!?!?

That's all the shots we have for you of our garden this week.  We do have one last photo for you, though.  Mom is trying to ID these grasses outside our KSU Veterinary Health Center:

IMG_9615 Dave checking for messages

I was just there for a check up or something.  I'm not sure.  I just remember getting tummy rubs and my vet squirting cheese on a cookie for me.  Talk about serenity!

Anyway - any ideas?  It gets a sort of rust color to it, too, and very delicate flower head thingies.  Mom's thinking Switchgrass, but isn't sure.  She'd like to add some to our gardens!

I hope you enjoyed today's post.  Are you feeling more serene now than you were before?  Woo!

Luv,
Dave

17 comments:

  1. My MOM has a REAL THINGY with Falling Waters and.... ROCKS...
    She LOVES the Chicken Breast one!!!
    BUTT they are ALL super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those plants are nice and all but you had me at cheese on a cookie. I'm checking into switching vets...pronto!


    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, the chicken breast rock looked to us like the top view of a headless pigeon...either way, yes, pass the bbq sauce! your mom should pair that rock with the Tomato Soup Echinacea ;)

    Your susnsets and stormy skies are beautiful! thanks again for the garden tour :)

    Pip, Smidgen, Minnie, HOllie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did someone say chicken breast? I'll take it plain or on with sauce. yummm. Just love the two sky shots.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave, I was waiting to read your Sunday post this morning. You have such a beautiful garden. But mostly, I just want to see you two, haha.

    Kisses and hugs for bringing me serenity.

    I'll be back,
    Sankissjuice

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just love your mom's flower pictures! Our favorite is the lavender against the stormy sky!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a Panicum, but I can't remember what's planted there...I don't think it's Northwind and Ruby Ribbons wasn't commercial yet. I'm thinking it was 'Heavy Metal'. I'll try to remember tomorrow to check the plans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel very serene now! Sorry I can't help you with the grass identification.

    Huffs

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you got your grass answer right from the source! I especially liked the Echinacea flower. I love the color! Looks like the watering can is getting quite a workout. Ours is too. No significant rain for more days than I can remember.

    Thanks for the tour around your garden.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmm - chick-hen.....

    oh wait - sorry, we got distracted. :) Your garden is lovely - mom likes the lavender picture. can't help you with the grass - mom has a black thumb

    ReplyDelete
  11. We like chicken too! Your photos are pretty. Sorry you didn't get any rain though. Glad all went well at the vet's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty, if we plant a chicken breast will it grow?
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMD, buddy, I'm drooling at that chicken breast! Om nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:06 PM

    well that sunset and those lavender flowers are both worthy of framing IMHO and I am just a cat...but one with good taste!! Dave, the garden is really colorful...looks like you may live in some dry hot place...desert like?? Very nice peeEss the chicken rock is pretty weird so I would suggest you make sure it shows up really good for efurrybody!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how pretty! That sky photo is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Switch Grass in front of Mosier Hall is Panicum 'Shenandoah'. Hmmmm...we'll have to see if it gets more red as the Fall comes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much, ProfessorRoush! I hope to add some to my garden this Fall!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete