Who We Are

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Serene Scenery Sunday

Ha roo, pups and cool cats!  It's me, Zim, here with Serene Scenery Sunday!  How about we take a stroll through our backyard today and check out the scene?  Ready?  Let's go!

Before we get started, let's look at a sunset from out here:

IMG_0048 30 July 12 sunset
30 JULY 2012 sunset over the Flint Hills

Mighty tranquil, don't you think?  And do you know who else loves a good sunset?

DSCN4208 Bart the Bat
"Good eeeeevening!"

That's right, our friend Bart the Bat!  And thanks to our bug-eating buddy, the backyard is much more serene for us all to enjoy!

The Purple Emperor Sedum plants in the back are trying to bloom:

DSCN4218 Purple Emperor Sedum

They don't look like much, but it's been a tough year.

Here I am, checking out one of the ornamental grasses:

IMG_0101 Zim and a Zebra Grass

It's called a Zebra Grass.  I didn't find any zebras, but I did pounce on and eat a cicada I found at the base before Mom could do anything about it.  Ha roo roo roo.

Yep.  Even though the heat and drought may have done a number on most of our plants this year, there is still plenty to find in the garden that can make a guy feel really great!  Like over here:

IMG_0104 Zim
Crunch... crunch... crunch...

Oh.  What was it?  Well, I won't say for sure, and Mom couldn't get it out of my mouth before I swallowed it ... but I will show you this very area a day or two earlier:

DSCN4205 Fluffy Black Cat
"Meow!"

My friend from next door, Fluffy Black Cat.  She left me a little ... something on the retaining wall.  Thanks, Fluffy Black!

In order to keep Mom serene, I had to give her a couple nice poses.  We think this one might be the best:

DSCN4211 Zim

I know, I know.  You're wondering just why I was willing to pose and how on earth Mom got me to sit still and look in the general direction of the camera - am I right?  The answer should be obvious!  She had a couple Stinky Goodness treats in her hand!  Sure, she could have used something else to bribe me, but I don't think she'd be willing to walk around the yard with cicadas or cat crunchies in her pocket.

DSCN4235 Zim
"Cicadas in her pocket.  Ha roo roo roo!"

OK... I may have slipped over the edge of the Zen of Zim Zone and gone right into the Silly Sector.  I better wrap this up for now and head back inside.

IMG_0117 Zim
"Hey, Mom.  A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do!"

I'm not sure why bipeds are so surprised when we actually act like dogs.  Some things are just irresistible!   (Would it be too cliché to say that I get a real buzz out of having a cicada flying around inside my mouth?  Ha roo roo roo!!!)

OK.  More pix from my backyard antics within the next few days.  Have a serene Sunday, everyone!

Play bows,
Zim

18 comments:

  1. Eww Zim how could you eat what Fluffy Black Cat left in your yard. That's gross!!! Sorry, but I would have to say you lost the serenity with that one.

    I did love that picture of you posing though.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved seeing Bart. So cool. Happy Sunday night to you all.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to eat cicadas too! It's the only nice thing about all this heat.

    nora

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Serene Secnery Sunday. Especially the pose shot. My friends call me a "Poser" but it looks like I might have some competition.

    bert

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes, that thing is frightening. Great pictures of you
    Snuggles and snorts
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can't figure out what kind of crunchies Fluffy Black Cat left you since we don't leave crunchies around. Maybe mousie bones? Maybe just a treat especially for you! We don't have any cicadas out here but Mommy remembers them in KS but she called them locusts. Do they grab onto your tongue like they did her fingers? We love the portrait of you Zim. You're such a handsome woofie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zim you could give my buddy Bert a run for the doggy treats when it comes to posing. Although Bert will just pose, NO TREATS INVOLVED. Crazy dog. I too like the occasional bug, but have never had a cat crunchy. When I first saw that first pic of the purple flower thing I though it's back drop was snow! Cool thought, but guess it wasn't.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Zim! For a minute I thought you swallowed that kitteh. Hehehe. Kitteh nuggets are pretty good too, though.

    I am jealous of your bat buddy. Here in Massachusetts we are short bats due to some awful fungus that is killing them right in their little bat caves. Terrible.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  9. mol! Wriggley loves to snarf up the bunny, er, "pellets" in the fields around here - he'd do anything for those but our mom has a similar reaction to carrying those in her pockets as yours and the cicadas :) say, we'd trade you as many "cat crunchies" as you want for some stinky goodness treats...let us know... Thanks for sharing your beautiful sunsets (and for the pose)! give our meows to Bart!

    Pip, Smidgen, Minnie, Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great Sunday photos for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just love that picture of you smiling, Zim!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh zimmy, you're too silly! What a great sunset. I guess we shouldn't complain about our temps. Hang in there guys!
    Licks and puppy kisses,
    Kylie and Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh zimmy, you're too silly! What a great sunset. I guess we shouldn't complain about our temps. Hang in there guys!
    Licks and puppy kisses,
    Kylie and Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard that cicadas are nearly as good as dragonflies. Is that true?

    Huffs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, thanks for that beautiful tour and what great narration. I have never eaten cicada, are they yummy? I do like your posing picture, you look very handsome. Mommy screamed when she saw Bert.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely picture of you, buddy! Cat crunchies are just the BEST, but Momma put up a gate so I can't get to them anymore. Siiiiiigh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pictures and story was great....Mom can't believe you got that close to Bert...ewwwwwww....
    Stella Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:58 PM

    what the heck did you pick up?? was it a dead bug? cat poo?...hmmmm...you should know better Zim! and we luvluvluv walking around your garden, so lovely! thanks lots, paw pats, Savannah

    ReplyDelete