Who We Are

Saturday, October 20, 2007

What Really Happens

Ha roo, pups! It's me - Stormy. I was just reading over Davy's post from yesterday -- his version of what happens at our 6-month check up in the Senior Care Program. Hmm.... "tummy rubs", "met lots of people", "lots of cookies", etc. Sure, it was all those things, but there's much more. He and I ... look at things a little differently.

Dave on the left, me on the right

I totally agree with Dave about the wonderful people there and how kind they are! I just love seeing everyone! Instead of hugging all of them and rolling on the floor for tummy rubs, though, I like to tell them all about stuff! I'm a bit more "active" than he is, shall we say. Ha roo roo roo. But seriously, in addition to all the loving and cookies, here's the run-down on the Senior Care Program at the KSU Vet Hospital. The key principles are early detection, preventative care, and taking note of changes!

At our 6-month check-up, what Dave and I had this past week, they do the following:

- Thorough physical exam (ALL the basics!) to include checking each and every one of our joints!
- Oral and dental evaluation
- Eye exam (this involves lots of different kinds of drops, something involving a strip of paper in our eyes - I think to see if our tear production is enough so we can wear contacts, eye pressure, dilation, all kinds of stuff!)
- Rectal exam and anal sac expression, if needed (despite what Dave said, it does NOT just mean standing there eating cookies! Partly, but not totally!)
- Tumor mapping - they chart each lump and bump, measure them and test each one to make sure they're "nothing"
- Blood pressure
- Nutritional assessment
- Nail trim, if needed (we've never had them do ours - ours naturally get filed down on our walks; Mom does our dew claws herself - except for Zim... he doesn't have any!)

Let me see ... what all do they do at the yearly thing?

At the yearly check-up, they do all of the above, plus the following:

- Complete blood count
- Organ function and electrolyte profile /serum chemistry profile
- Thyroid screening
- Urinalysis
- Fecal exam for parasites
- Chest x-rays
- Blood pressure
- Heartworm test
- And we get a 12-month supply of Interceptor as part of the package

I think that's it!

So ... true, Dave covered the highlights, but it's more than hugs, cookies, and socializing! We just ALL like those parts best! Ha roo roo roo!

Mega-thanks to all our wonderful vets, students, vet techs, and staff members at KSU Vet Med Hospital for helping keep us in good heath!

Tail wags,
Stormy

12 comments:

  1. That's a very thorough exam. It shows how much your Mom and Dad love and care about you. Meeka had his yearly visit to our vet today. We have a new vet and Meeka was sent to test them out. They passed with flying colors! And so did he.
    ECHO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stormy, you are very beautiful even though you are black and white. And I respect your knowledge as a more-senior Sibe.

    But I like the sound of Dave's exam better!

    I can tell you got the Human Assistant thinking that it's time for us to get check-ups too.

    Maybe Gremlin will get a pokey exam like you. She's a girl too. I'll take one like Dave's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a very thorough vet exam. I don't think that I've ever had one that was more than a half hour, or so. Of course they do lab work and get back to us, sometimes, and I've spent the whole day at the vet twice, when mommy couldn't get an appointment, but I needed a checkup, but the exam never lasted 4 hours.

    You say that you guys have students working on you, is it a vet school? I'm sorry if you've answered this question before...

    I still want to get shipped to Kansas for a checkup...

    Louka

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow1.... that was a really complete check up.... i've never done that many test b4..

    how many litres of blood do they need?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Stormy that sure is a thorough exam!! We enjoyed the two different perspectives on the visit. The photos of you and Dave are wonderful, especially that one on you and him looking at things differently!
    Licks
    Jazz and Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are both so very lucky to have an awesomemedical team to look you over and keep you healthy. We're glad that they are taking such good care of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stormy - I am just so glad your thorough medical tests had such good results.

    Your medical care is just like mine, "wonderful".

    Preventative care is just the very best - although I hate the anal sac stuff.......!

    love and licks, Marvin xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is a thorough exam! I'm glad you are both doing so well!! Sounds like a wonderful program, with wonderful people to take care of you!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that is like reading what they do for a tune up on our truck! you guys really get the full treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:13 PM

    Wow Stormy.. you two really had a long exam. I think that you both should be rewarded with WATERMELON SLUSHIES!
    Hugs,
    Sitka

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stormy, my mom says to tell you that you have the cutest face! Dave wowed her with his woos, but you are adorable!

    Maddox, who is adorable too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! That's way more intensive than I get. And I'm a senior! I'll need to have a little talk w/ my Vet to see why they are neglecting my care.

    I could do without the anal gland expression though.

    Sherman

    ReplyDelete