Who We Are

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Downtown!

Hello, everyone, it's me - Cam!  Guess where I got to go this week!?!  Right - downtown!  Mom and I weren't feeling alone and life wasn't making us lonely like that Petula Clark lady sang about, but we decided to go downtown anyway!   It was very exciting and we took lots of pictures - are you ready to take a look?  Let's go - downtown!

We parked near the county courthouse and stopped to admire the Amanda Arnold Arch. Mom wanted me to strike a pose, but I was busy checking everything out still!

IMG_8522CamArch
"Hello!  Oh, really?  Me?  Why thank you."

There were people going in and out of the courthouse and lots of them stopped to say nice things about me.  No wonder Petula headed downtown for a pick-me-up!  Let's head through the arch and check out the front of the courthouse!

There were people milling about out there, too, so I turned on the charm and struck some super poses for Mom - like this one:

IMG_8528RCCCam

I know how to work a crowd!

We walked around a bit, then I decided to sit down while Mom took some shots of the area.

IMG_8538DowntownCam
"Mom?  That person walked by and ignored me!"

Some people walked by me and didn't say anything. I was a bit surprised by that!  Hmm.  Maybe they had worries like Petula.

Oh!  Want a close-up of the cool paving stone?

IMG_8539DowntownPaws

Pretty spiffy!  They were scattered throughout the sidewalk along Poyntz Avenue. That's one of the main streets in the older part of town.

IMG_8545CamPoyntz
"... ♩Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city
Linger on the sidewalk, where the neon signs are pretty...♩"

Speaking of neon signs, you can see Harry's behind me and the Wareham Opera House.  Harry's is a restaurant that's part of the Wareham ... but you can read more about them at the sites I linked to.  They're quite historic!

They have some special monuments honoring our military veterans in front of the courthouse.

IMG_8543CamVeterans
If you can't read the inscription, please click here.

I was going to save these pix for Veterans Day, but I think it's good to honor our veterans every day!

There are bricks in front of that monument with names of some of the veterans from our city and county inscribed on them.

IMG_8544CamVeterans

How about another view of the Riley County Courthouse?

IMG_8548CamRCC

Petula never mentions all the cool historic stuff in her song. Maybe she went to a different part of downtown?

There was a group of college-aged girls getting into their car who kept giggling and saying things like "Oh, she's so CUTE!" and stuff, so I posed sweetly for them.

IMG_8550CamPoyntz
"Hello, people of downtown!"
What a fun place!

Anyway... we headed back through the arch and I took a quick break:

IMG_0114CamArch

Can you see the arch back there, behind me? Mom liked something else that was behind me -- right here:

IMG_0113CamVW

Do I look worried there? I wasn't sure about Mom taking pix of someone's car! Sure enough ...

IMG_8556Cam

Ha roowooroo!  Just kidding!

I hope you had fun coming downtown with us!

"... Downtown, things will be great when you're
Downtown, don't wait a minute more
Downtown, everything is waiting for you
Downtown... ♩"

Yep. That's going to be stuck in my head all day!

Cammie!

PS:  If you'd like to see more pix from my Downtown Adventure, we have a set on FlickR at this link.

12 comments:

  1. We loved this post today, all your pictures and info...cammie you are such a good girl!! No wonders peoples loves you.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun adventure Cammie! If our mommy ever saw you out, she'd for sure come over to swoon all over you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing your Downtown today Cammo. You must show us more. Have a tremendous Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty town you live near---and it's all the prettier cuz you are there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our mom used to have a little car just like that black one. It was her fav effur!! Guess what, Cammie! I met a sibe girl this morning and she PLAYED with me!!

    Otto

    ReplyDelete
  6. we don't think your mom can be arrested for taking pictures. now taking the car? that's another story. MOL we loved seeing your downtown and we bet you charmed everyone you met!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Master said you just made her a little homesick.

    I don't know what she's talking about. Her home is right here with me.

    Crazy.

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD our mom is now Screeching that Downtown song... she says that she loved Pet Clark... WHATEVER!

    WOW that is a gorgeous courthouse. they don't make them with that kind of character and grace now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now my mom can't stop singing that song! You sure had a great time Downtown!! I can't believe that some of those people didn't pay attention to you. It always makes me sad when people walk by and ignore me too.

    Walter

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know that song butt MOM is humming it over and over. Do you have any doggie shops in your downtown?
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a beautiful downtown, Cammie! What a fun adventure for you!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your downtown streets are really pretty, Camo! our mom says that song was a fav'rite of hers when she was a kid...we don't think we've ever heard it til now tho :) purrs,

    Pip, Smidgen, Minnie, HOllie

    ReplyDelete