Who We Are

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Haik-woo #38

Woo, Dave here! Our very dear friends Jazz & Dixie asked me about my Haik-woo the other day. After reading that Haik-woo, they went back and checked the others! They made some really sweet comments (even about the freckles on my nose ... woo!) and asked, "How long does it take to think them up and put the down on paper?" Thank woo for the compliments, girls! And for the interest in my Haik-woo!

Sometimes they come to me right away and other times I struggle over the words for weeks! Since by its very definition a Haik-woo only has 17 syllables, each one is very important; I try to make every beat count!

I get inspiration from everywhere, on walks, in the Quilt Studio, from friends ... and I do some of my best thinking in my own writer's retreat. I think very profound thoughts there! Woo.

Music also inspires me. I really have strong musical preferences - the old jazz standards and Basia (especially when she woos in Polish). I love the song "Watermelon Man" by Mongo Santamaria -- that could be my theme song! I also LOVE old Sergio Mendes and the Brazil '66, especially "Mas Que Nada". Mom and I woo with them; her Portuguese isn't as good as Storm's, but she's trying! AND, last but by no means least, I love the bagpipes and Celtic fusion! I come running every time Mom sticks a CD like that into the player! I was thusly inspired to write my latest Haik-woo. I give you ... Haik-woo #38.


Put on some great, inspiring tunes and stay cool!

Luv,
Dave

PS: My mom got this great t-shirt from the MaPaw Sibe Rescue store; everyone thinks the drawing is me, but it's my twin brother of a different mother, Harley! Woo! It's Harley playing the pipes! Woooooo!

14 comments:

  1. Woo! Dave, you are an amazing Pup! I adore the t-shirt, that is really fandabidozi, Harley playing the pipes!

    All I have to say after your very interesting and celtic themed post is......

    "lang mae ye lum reek".......

    a Marvin Scottish translation follows.....

    "long may your chimney smoke" or

    "long may your Haik-woo be inspired"

    Haste ye back, my Celtic pal, may my Marvin Scottish Vibes be with you!

    xxxxx Marvin

    ps can you tell Amber the answer to her question "how much does a River Earn?" is "quite a lot, River Earn's salary is ex-stream........"

    oooops, sorry, I will get my coat!

    Enough of my bad jokes!

    Asta La Vista! Marvin xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, you must be the best dog poet around!!

    Steve and Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dave, you are so talented. I had mom check out all your Haik-Woos. My favorite is No. 12.

    The Harley Tee Shirt is cool. I have to get mom to see the other stuff they have.

    HuskyHugs, MayaMarie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your Haik-woo's!! My human loves Celtic and Scottish music too. She says it's very relaxing and soothing. I thought when we all sang for her she thought THAT was soothing and relaxing!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harrrrrr Dave
    we have several Celtic CD and one of all bag pipes harrrr it is great to do a little jig to Harrrr.
    Cap'n Maverick the Pirate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave you're too good at that! Do you do Soduku too?
    Hey I recognize that snazzy shirt! The Green Lane Scottish/Irish Festival is my most favorite event! The Loch Ness Monster even goes!
    ECHO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great poem Dave! My dad has that t-shirt. We all love the meet and greet at the scottish-irish festival here in September!

    -Kelsey Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Zim,
    Thank you. We did receive your
    e-mail. Momma will try to load it again tomorrow.

    BTW- Dad loves the pipes, Momma not so much.

    Tasha & Eva

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love bagpipes too! Dad has that shirt and we go to the Green Lane Celtic Fest every year. M&D's favorite band is called Enter the Haggis - your mom 'll luv em. M&D are medieval re-enactors, so they have many friends who wear kilts. Guinness likes to goose them with her Poke-a-nose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woh Dave, you're a musical dog too. You're so talented. I like that tee shirt. It's cute

    ~ Girl girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvin: Woo! Isn't that a great shirt?
    Ooh, thanks for the Scottish wishes! Very profound!
    Amber LOVES your comeback! She's going around the house saying, "...'ex-stream'... hee hee hee!" Ya gotta love the Yammer!

    Steve & Kat: Thank woo!

    Maya Marie: Thank woo! #12 is one of MY favs, too! I love my Kong on a Rope!

    Hollybollyboo: Maybe the Celtic and Scottish music reminds your mom of your singing - and that's why she likes it!!!

    Harrrr, Maverick: I've never danced a jig, but I do love to woo along!

    Echo: Thank woo! Soduku sounds more up Stormy's alley than mine. It takes too much thinking!
    The Loch Ness Monster gets to go to the festival and I DON'T!?!!? This is SO unfair! I would LOVE to go!

    Kelsey Ann: You get to go there, too??! That is so cool. I would love to go!
    When my mom wears her tee-shirt, people ask if the drawing is me! I didn't know at first that it's of Harley -- no wonder people think it's me!

    Tasha & Eva: I think the pipes are one of those "love 'em or hate 'em" things. Nopuppy here "hates" them, but Stormy prefers Tina Turner.

    Guinness & Shiloh: Isn't it the coolest shirt?
    Mom will have to look into that band!
    Guinness, you sound like Amber. That's something she'd do! And she has an ICY cold nose!!!

    Girl Girl: I have definite preferences in music. So does Storm. Zim and Amber really don't.

    Luv to everypup,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Dave, thanks for letting us know what inspires you to write your great Haik-woos. We like the new one too.
    Licks
    Jazz and Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Dave,

    You are such a Wonderful Poet! I knew not you liked Bagpipes. At my last Rescue picnic, an Adopter played the Bagpipes for all the Border Collies. I get Soft-eyed recalling it.

    Yours,
    Tansy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jazz & Dixie: Thank woo. My haik-woo come from the heart!

    Miss Tansy: Woo! You had someone play the bagpipes for you and your fellow BCs? Woooo, that would be so nice! Border Collies and the pipes really go together, don't they?
    I love the bagpipes. They are so soothing!

    Luv,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete