Who We Are

Friday, August 10, 2007

Weather or Not

Hee hee hee. "Weather or Not". Get it? Hi, everypuppy! It's me - Amber! Our sweet friend Boomer asked if we'd let our mom post more of her weather pictures on the blog! We're happy to do so. Since I'm the resident Meteorologist, Stormy said I could post the pictures!

Our deck faces West, across the Flint Hills, so we have a great view of most of the storm fronts that come rolling in. Here is a video Mom took the other night off the deck. She pans 360 degrees, so you can get the full effect of the sky (don't get dizzy!) -- the sunset, the storm rolling in, the BLUE sky, the black clouds ... everything! All at the same time!


Isn't it pretty!?! (I should have warned you about the sound. That's a million cicadas. Perhaps two. They're a bit loud, aren't they?)

Did you notice the line of clouds near the end? They are in the process of forming into "mammatus" clouds, which often accompany thunderstorms. This one, in fact, was a doozy! Every time we have clouds like that, I like to ask Storm, Zim or Dave, "Why are the clouds so m-mad at us?" Hee hee hee! A little weather humor. Zimmie loves that one.

Here are some other pictures of mammatus clouds Mom has taken; they look like the under-side of a bowl filled with cotton balls, don't they?

That's the real color of the sky - no funny editing! These two pix were taken at sunset, so the light reflecting off the clouds did that! A friend of Mom's said it looks like we're living on another planet. :)

Not Mars ... just Kansas!

We've posted some pretty nice pictures of funnel clouds rolling in and pretty sky shots at this post and this one. Needless to roo, we like it when the sky looks like this because of the snow involved! In fact, let's look at a really bee-roo-tiful sunset:

Oooh, yes! I like this kind of sunset! I feel cooler already!

I like those kind much better than this kind ...

Mom took that one the first year she, Dad, Storm and great-brother Booter were in this house. (I don't think we've posted it before; if we have, please pardon the redundancy!) Dad was at work, Storm was pacing & helping the big Siberian on the City's PA system sound the alarm ("Wooooo!"), and great-brother Booter was thumping his tail against the door to go downstairs to safety. And Mom? Out on the deck with the Pentax. I don't want to say anything I shouldn't say, but I think Mom should have listened to Booter and Stormy!

Anyroo... I hope you enjoyed our weather pictures! Thanks for asking, Boomer!

Love,
Amber

14 comments:

  1. Our town also employs Siberian huskies to warn about bad weather! But we can't hear them out where we live, so we have to let my Human know about storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:45 PM

    Amber, what a great post for today! I loved the video...made me feel like I was there with you! Wow, those were some funky photos of the sky! Cool.
    Hugs,
    Sitka

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome post! The sky is just so beautiful! We love it!

    Love ya lots,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching your video, we went ooooooooooooahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooo ... wooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love the one on Mars.

    And Momma says "Thank you for the offer but we don't need your bunnies, we have enough of our own.

    Silly Momma, bunnies are a fun way to get some exercise.

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty pictures! We get a lot of the same views here! Gotta love the plains states! Mom hates that kind of weather. We had bad storms last night with 60+ mile per hour winds. Lots of trees and branches down throughout the city but luckily none here.

    I sure like the winter skies better too!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome pictures! I don't like storms with small s's though. They're just fine in pictures but not real life.

    -Kelsey Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Amber! Wow, we just loved your Mama's weather pics, your weather is very dramatic looking over there in Kansas. The sunset picture was amazing too.

    We have boooootiful sunsets here in bonnie Scotland and lovely sunrises too. We don't have any sun today though ;0( and it is pretty cool.

    So you can walk on over and chill out with me if you like! Can you walk on water? No, nor can I!

    love and wet licks, Marvin xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. forgot to say we loved your video too. The cicadas reminded Jeannie of her Spanish holiday back in June, and she got all teared up with good memories!

    love and licks, Marvin xxxxx

    (who is back on the blogs now once more.....I had a wee rest yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very bewootiful your pictures are. You are such a smart Siberian! We have a Siberian warning system about the nuclear plant nearby. It makes a very loud "wwooooooooooo" once a month to test if we can all here it. We sing along with him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great photos! Your mom is really brave. The colors of the sky was so amazing. Good thing you'all have a safe place when storms are coming. You just need to get your mom inside.
    Husky Hugs, MayaMarie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey AO4,
    Those pictures are very
    beautiful me and my mum were
    oowing and ahhring over them
    I have never seen snow before
    so what's it like?

    Love and Licks
    Texas (and His humans).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Amber, those pictures are so wonderful! Mom loves the mammatus clouds, they are her favorite. Unfortunately here in Southern California we don't have clouds like that. If you go to www.antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov they have some really neat pictures of mama clouds in their archives.

    The cicada's are so loud, they sound like electric wires! When mom and dad go to Oklahoma to visit dads family she can't believe that the buzzing is coming from bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tubey: I wonder how much they pay the Sibes?

    Sitka: I wish you WERE here! That would be VERY nice!

    Maggie: They say we have "lots of sky" here. I don't think we have more than anyone else!

    Rocky: It's better than fireworks! Hee hee hee!

    Eva: It SEEMS like another planet sometimes... and LOOKS like another planet sometimes ... but it's just Kansas!
    No go on the bunnies, huh? Can't blame us for asking!

    Holly: Those wintery skies will be here SOON! I hope.

    Kelsey Ann: I don't mind storms with small "s"es. I LOVE Storms with a big "S"! :)

    Marvin: We have very pretty sunsets here! And LOUD cicadas! Mom said they were louder in Korea sometimes. Yikes!

    Guinness & Shiloh: I don't think our Siberian warning system goes nuclear. Hee hee hee!

    Maya Marie: Mom is a weather fan; she can't help herself!

    Texas: Snow is LOVELY! It's COLD and wet and fluffy and COLD! It's really nice!! Maybe I can mail you some when we get some!

    Boomer: I saw the clouds on that site - they're spectacular!! I'm glad your mom liked our pictures; we'll share more soon!

    Love,
    Ammy

    ReplyDelete